If you have any Owncloud installation already on your computer, uninstall it. The files will remain on your computer and on the server.
To install NextCloud:
- Log into your Nextcloud account through a web browser
- Click your “initial” in the upper right corner. It is a circle, with the first letter of your login in it.
- Select Settings from the drop down menu
- Select Mobile & desktop from left hand menu
- Click on Desktop app. This will take you to the NextCloud site to allow you to download the official NextCloud client for your computer.
- Choose your operating system and download the program.
- Find the downloaded file and run it to begin the installation. (By default, for most people, it will be in the My Downloads folder.) The default options are good for most installations.
- Run Nextcloud. (There is an option at the end of the installation) On the first run, it will ask you to set up your connection.
- Click the button marked “Login”.
- Enter https://cloud.dailydata.net for the server address
- Click the Next button and wait. In a moment, your default browser will open and connect to the server. It is doing a lot of stuff in the background, so this step may take a while (up to 5 minutes), so be patient.
- When the screen appears, it will ask you to log in with your username and password. This is a security feature that sets up your connection to the server without sending a lot of unnecessary data across the internet.
- Click Next to Log in. Again, it will take a while (about 30-40 seconds) to process the information you entered.
- The next screen will ask permission to Grant Access. Select “Yes”.
- The final screen tells you it is done, and that you can close the browser.
- You will now be asked to set up folders configuration. Choose the “Skip folders configuration” button (we will do it later).
The following can be done at any time, and can be done multiple times on a single machine if you want to synchronize different parts of your computer to different directories on the server.
- Open NextCloud
- Select Settings
- Click “Add Folder Sync Connection”
- Choose the directory on your workstation you want to have synchronized to the server (you can create one at this time if it doesn’t exist)
- Click Next
- Choose the directory on the NextCloud server you want to synchronize to. You can create a new directory if you need to.
- Click Next
- You will be given the option to exclude subdirectories. Do so, if you want, by removing the check in the box, or leave alone if you want to synchronize everything.
- click Next
- Your synchronization will begin immediately. While it is synchronizing, you can repeat steps 3-9 for any additional directories.